View Single Post

Old 03-09-2012, 09:28 AM

Liked 6,256 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwpmusic View Post
Did my first double action shooting yesterday with my 66-2. Truthfully, I was rather pleasantly surprised. This is one accurate pistol and I bet a real shooter could do amazing things with it. I do have one question. I shot 200 rounds of WWB 130gr .38Spl FMJ and I thought I'd never get the pistol cleaned today. Must have took me 2 hours (well, that may be stretching it a little) to get it like I wanted it. So, is the just a dirty range ammo to shoot or what's the deal? Of course, being stainless steel, you can see every little smudge. Nevertheless, it was fun and I still love the 66. Any help with the date on this serial number AJM3XXX? I think I've missed getting the 629 I mentioned earlier. I really want a 27 or 28 now. You guys have really started something at my house, collecting pieces of Americana.
Congratulations on the purchase of a fine example of S&W design and craftsmanship. WWB 130 gr. FMJ's work very well in my revolvers although I must admit that at extended ranges, I prefer a heavier bullet. In fact, in just a few minutes I'll take a few of my favorite revolvers and head for the range to fire several boxes of the WWB 130 gr. FMJ's at various targets, either paper of steel. Cleaning after any range trip is always wise. I'd suggest you buy some Shooter's Choice, a cleaning solvent that I have used with very good results on handguns, rifles and shotguns. A "Lead Away" cloth does a very good job of removing smudges, stains, etc. If you want your revolver to look showroom new/clean after each trip to the range, regardless of ammunition used, you will need to be prepared to clean using the above mentioned materials. With a good steel cleaning rod and .38/.357 brass cleaning jag, cotton patches and a quality phosphor-bronze cleaning brush, cleaning your 66 should not be a problem regardless of the ammunition you might use. Do buy brushes with brass cores, not steel. Why? There is no possibility that a brass brush can damage a steel bore. But, there is the possibility a steel core could cause some damage to the bore of the face of the recoil shield if you should inadvertently allow the brush to exit the throat of the barrel and hit inside the frame. Kleenbore makes a good line of cleaning materials. I have used them with complete success for over 25 years. JMHO. Sincerely. brucev.