View Single Post

Old 03-12-2012, 02:51 PM
US Veteran

Liked 542 Times in 218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman86 View Post
M2MikeGolf- I actually have 2 of the 10-14's, one that I modified and one that I left stock (in the pic) The one I modified is an absolute tack driver, I added all drop in parts and did the work myself. All I may have done is get Mark at Pinnacle to add a red insert to the front sight. This gun shows that you don't need adjustable sights to have an extremely accurate revolver.

There was a dealer on GunBroker this past winter selling security trade in 10-11's and 10-14's for about $300 each, so I went for a 10-14. He also had 64's so I got a 64-8 from him too. Both are in the pic, you can just see the 64-8 on the bottom. He says he is getting more, so keep looking.

FYI, K-frame square Pachmayr Presentations do fit perfectly on Round Butt K-frames, and there are a ton of round to square conversion grips out there, as you already know with the Ahrends.

I love my 10-14, it shoots just as well and in some cases better than any of my older S&W's. The mainsprings are a bit heavier but the DA pull is slicker, if that makes any sense. There is nothing wrong with the new IL and MIM Model 10's and I would recommend getting one. I'll never part with my two 10-14's and I shoot them often. I use my stock 10-14 for carry once in a while. If the IL is an issue, get the "plug" from Bullseye Smith here on the forums. I have one in my "worked" 10-14.

See if you can pick one up used, since new ones run about $500 or so from places like Bud's. I would also recommend looking at the 64-8's. My 64-8 is scary accurate.

C&R Bill- Thanks! Nothing says "old school cop gun" like a 5" or 6" taper barrel M&P!
Thanks for the notes; just what I was thinking and hoping for actually. I'm also interested in the 64s, and have an idea about converting one to 9x19. I have a 619 and the DA trigger pull is so good, I shoot it more often in DA than any other DA revolver I've ever owned; if the 10-14 is like that, I'd be happy. The SA pull on my 619 is almost like a German set trigger, don't know if that's normal, but I really like it. Haven't measured the trigger pulls on it, but it's light and smooth. Again, if these 10s are anything like it, I'm gettin' one, only it's going to be awhile, unfortunately. Will have to satisfy my Model 10 urge with my 547 'till then!

Last edited by M2MikeGolf; 03-13-2012 at 05:04 AM.