View Single Post

Old 03-13-2012, 10:44 AM

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

First of all, thanks for the replies and advice.

Scooter and Chris: When it fails to reset, the cylinder does not rotate and I have not tried pulling the trigger again. The chamfer on the sear is not sharp, but rounded off. Likely the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alk8944 View Post
WildBillD,

You asked how deep the hole in the rebound slide is. I just measured two, a 1961 +/- K-32, and a 1947+/- K-38. The hole in both was drilled with a standard drill bit with a tapered point, it is not flat bottomed.

To the point where the 1/8" diameter rod of my depth micrometer contacts the tapered bottom of the hole the K-32 measures .885", and the K-38 .898" Hope this is helpful. If yours is significantly shorter than .875, or appears flat bottomed, that would be a very good indication that there is a spacer in the hole. Drilling it to the proper depth, with a drill of the right diameter, would be the easiest way to handle this.
Alk8944: The rebound slide hole is not flat bottomed and does not appear to have been modified that I can tell. No spacer, but I measured it at .825", substantially less than yours. Also, a picture of the rebound spring I took out (on left), and a stock spring from a 686. The stock spring measures roughly 1.16", the original 0.85":

I do have Kuhnhausen's manual and Sweeney's gunsmithing pistols. I know there a lot of "variations" on parts, and have seen several S&W revolvers with different trigger pulls. Some good, some not so good. Buddy of mine has a Model 10 that has the worst trigger pull I've ever seen, and gun is totally untouched. Another guy I know has a Model 15 that has never been touched and has an excellent trigger.

I'm thinking this thing was not good from the factory, so someone did what they could to try to make it better. It may have worked, but certainly was the the right way to go about it.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by WildBillD; 03-13-2012 at 01:28 PM.