View Single Post

Old 03-13-2012, 05:16 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetdog View Post
It had what the GS said were Ivory grips. Turned out they were not, thanks to a lot of help from Forum members and a phone call from Ditrina. ( Thanks to all). The price was $800 and when I told them the grips were not Ivory they went to $700 and I passed on it.
Has anyone checked the blue book on this gun? Seems to be quite high on this.
Its all in your perspective and the actual condition of the gun.

My buddy Joe paid that amount for his fixed sight gun back in December. Its what we call "unblemished". And it has a high 120,000s serial #.

Both David Carroll and another vendor had guns LNIB, with the "B" a pretty important part of it. They were displayed at the January OGCA show. Both were priced at about $1400+.

Its my view that a gun without its original grips won't command top dollar, or even enter the game. Fake ivory might just as well be plastic or rubber handles. Real ivory, on the other hand, is a pretty easy to absorb consolation prize. If they fit well its as good as walnut.

Because of renewed interest in this caliber, we're looking at every gun we see in the caliber, including "Colts" and "Winchesters". At the show over the weekend, I could have purchased 3 or 4 guns in the description you describe, none over $500. Sometimes it burns to walk away, but its the right thing to do.