View Single Post

Old 03-15-2012, 03:19 PM

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Mike, funny that you mention flitz, that was one that I did try after I was already using the lead remover cloth. I have a qt. can that I got back around '88 that still has about an inch left in bottom, I use it for cleaning off all kinds of nasty from chrome and it works great for that. It was mentioned to me for the cyls, so I gave it a try, but it didn't seem to do very much, esp. compared to the l-r cloth, so I gave up on it.

The other thing I tried that I had high hopes for was Kroil; I read all the reviews about how the lead 'just falls out of the barrel with a patch run', so I got a can. I swabbed all the chambers and let it sit for about 24 hrs, but when I ran a patch through the cylinders, I got a clean patch with a little bit of kroil on it, not a speck of lead. Anyone have better luck with kroil here or in the bore as a de-leader?

I agree re. the l-r cloth on the cylinder face and forcing cone, comes right back down to stainless with very little effort. I use one of those 'devil's tail' plastic cleaning tools and a small piece of l-r cloth to get around the cone and top strap, works great. I usually only do the cyl face about every few hundred rounds, when I do a full detail cleaning.

Dave