View Single Post

Old 03-16-2012, 11:35 AM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

I'm not sure who they've hired at S&W these days, but I'm thinking they need to be tarred and feathered. We hear a stream of what I consider to be very bad advice coming out over the phone lines. I wish someone would monitor those calls and fire the idiot who makes bad suggestions.

There's nothing really bad about black powder loads, except their dirty, hard to find, and cleaning becomes a real pain. Yes, the ammo currently being produced is fine to fire. The only way to obtain any .32-20 ammo cheap is to load it yourself. From the tone of your posts, that won't happen in the near future.

Scour the gun stores near you. Its a pretty pleasant way to spend a Saturday morning. Look and then ask about .32-20 ammo. There may still be a few boxes of the dreaded "Hi Speed" labeled for rifles only, and it will be an 80 grain bullet, not the 100 grain you seek. If in doubt, print this post and carry it along with you.

The problem with black powder is it leaves soot behind. The soot and the by-products of some priming corrode and ruin the inside of the barrel. Best to just avoid it (and calling S&W if the keep giving bad advice.)

Ammo is becoming expensive. Its on the forefront of the next round of inflation. Several reasons, most relate to costs, brass and copper prices, lead prices, petroleum prices (powder and transportation). Might as well accept the fact its becoming expensive. At gun shows I used to find the ammo for about $20 a box, now its usually $40.

Around here, we destroy market prices. Once a nearly obsolete caliber gets mentioned, we take up an interest. The guns tend to vanish off shelves and closets. Soon we're out burning up ammo and demanding more. Its not the most popular caliber. That part can work to your advantage if a shop owner has a box or two he's had for a while.

One lesson you'll soon learn is if you find 2 boxes, buy them both. If you only buy one, the other will be gone when you go back. Its how ammo shortages are made, but you also feel good because you know you've got an adequate supply.

Good luck, you'll have fun.