View Single Post

Old 03-18-2012, 02:09 PM

Liked 17,165 Times in 2,909 Posts
Default "The Newhall Incident" 4 dead LEO's In 4 Minutes

I just found a used book on this 1970 shootout by a Chief John Anderson of the Highway Patrol. Four Ca. highway Patrolman were killed by two ex-cons while being pulled over in SoCal. A citizen saw the third cop go down, ran up, grabbed his revolver and shot the bad guy with the last shot, wounding him. I'm halfway done with this tragic true story that apparently changed police tactics in the future. I think I recall reading something about this also motivating police to practice with .357 ammo in their guns as opposed to .38 specials. I can't remember exactly, though. This book is OK except for one thing that happens alot in non fiction books. There is dialogue injected that in no way could have been told to the author since the people talking were both killed. It makes me question the rest of the book when authors make these assumptions.
There's lots of current and retired LEO's here. What do you recall about this horrible incident? It also brings to mind the 1986 FBI shootout in Miami where things had to be relearned as far as dealing with armed or potentially armed criminals. The author of this book has hinted to overconfidence on the part of the officers killed, but we'll see. Here's a video with interviews of people involved:
http://www.scvtv.com/html/scvhs040510btv.html

Last edited by Wyatt Burp; 03-19-2012 at 07:47 AM.