View Single Post

Old 03-19-2012, 01:05 AM

Liked 106 Times in 49 Posts

I did get a chance to sneak out to the range today and shoot this nice 624 3 incher.

I added one load to the list above. 10 grs. of HS-6 with the 250 gr. LWC. The LWC I used is from Matt's Bullets, and is almost a full wadcutter. It's smaller ahead of the first drive band, but not small enough to be a bore rider.

I went to retrieve my targets from the trunk of my car but I must have left them inside the store when I went back in to buy another pound of powder. So all of the group sizes I state need to be salted to taste. They're just a guess. I'm a machinist for a living so my guesses won't be off by mile. I'll post pics from the next trip.

The first group I shot was the 250 LWC / Unique load. I wanted to try it first, before any leading occurred, because I thought it would have the best potential. It shot about a 5" group at 25 yards. It looks like this combination of bullet and powder does not go together well. I'll try Unique with a different bullet later. I have some 250 gr. Keiths coming.

The second group I fired was the 9 grs. of SR-4756 with the 250 LWC. It did better. About 3".

The 3rd group was the 10 grs. of HS-6 / 250 LWC load. It was great. Right at 2". It's my carry load for now.

The 4th load was the 16 grs. of AA9 / 250 LWC load. Very warm load. Quite a handful in this 3 incher. Group was about 3". This would be a good load for walking out to the deer stand.

I checked the bore after shooting the lead loads, and got no appreciable leading from any of these loads. The top of one land had just a little bit on it. Nothing major.

The fifth load was 9 grs. of SR-4756 and the 200 gr. Gold Dot that Speer makes just for the .44 Special. Easy load to shoot and accurate also. About 3".

The last group was a cylinder full of Silvertips. Very easy load to shoot. About 3 inches also.

I'm not going to shoot any more of the 16 grs. AA9 / 250 LWC load in practice. I know where it shoots, about 2 inches below the HS6 load. The empty cases were not sticky coming out, but the gun felt like a .44 Magnum when shooting them.

For now HS6 is my go-to powder for this gun. I bought another pound of it to assemble more loads to try. Maybe I can tweak things down a little tighter.

Last edited by GregG; 03-19-2012 at 01:07 AM.