View Single Post

Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,057 Times in 319 Posts

Quote:
Miami,Waco,Newhall
I started my career in that era, 1974. Ended up being a firearms instructer and worked on officer safety.

Those were all extremely rare incidents. We (I) stress more on training based on the "Onion Field" something that is much more common.

Common as to, most incidents will occur at traffic stops and domestic disturbances.

I stressed training with you service revolver/pistol. NEVER GIVE UP YOUR GUN.

We pushed weapon retention, weapon takeaways, and drawing and firing showing even if the bandit has the drop on you, the advantage was in your court.

Even if you have a long gun, (rifel or shotgun) chances are its in the car. You don't take it to the drivers door to write a ticket. You don't carry it to the family disturbance. Its left in the car which isn't (or shouldn't be) parked in front of the house.

When I was an FTO I made my rookys read the Onion Field and Bill Jordon's NO SECOND PLACE WINNER.

I liked Jordon's idea that a cop should practice drawing and getting off the one shot fast and accuratly.

An example: We would go to the range. One guy would draw and point his gun at a target. He was told when he saw you start to draw he was to fire at his target. A huge majority of the time the one doing the drawing got his round off before the one who had the drop on his target.

The idea is to draw and shoot while the other guy is talking.

It's kind of like breathing while shooting. We know that you hold your breath, either on purpose or unconsciencly while shooting. You can't pull the trigger while breathing. Same thing, you can talk and pull the trigger while talking, you have to stop, both breathing and talking the instent you pull the trigger.

Plus no one expects someone to draw his revolver/pistol while they have a gun pointed at them. You have the avantage of supprise.

Same with weapon take aways, get them talking the rip the gun from their hand (assuming your at bad breath distance). No one expects it, suprise puts the ball in your court.

Sure if you have the time, and you know what you're getting into, take a long gun, but you never know. You hardly ever know what you're getting into. You always have your service revolver, practice, never stop practicing. Confidence in you service revolver and you're abilities goes a long ways with it comes to "officer safety".

And something else I always stressed, practice with one hand. Everyone teaches and practices two hand shooting, but in my 20 years of LE, I can't think of one time I drew my revolver (not fired it, but drew it to have it ready) that I had my other hand free.

There is always something in one hand, Ticket book, door knob, flashligth, another bandit, mirror (for building searches), etc etc.

And nothing is more useless then a shotgun or rifle while you're trying to handcuff a bandit.

Last edited by kraigwy; 03-19-2012 at 10:36 AM.
The Following 11 Users Like Post: