View Single Post

Old 03-19-2012, 04:03 PM

Liked 2,526 Times in 1,043 Posts

I remember when the FBI started putting on one day "street survival" seminars around 1974 and this was covered. I was just a young troop then. There was another incident involving a couple of Border Patrol officers named Newton and Azrak about the same time; they were taken hostage at a checkpoint in southern CA and executed.

An outfit called Calibre Press took the initiative starting around 1979 or so and put on 2 and 3 day seminars on officer survival. They were long on slide and video presentations, and the first hour or so of the program showed more pictures of dead cops than anyone wanted to see. In later years audio and video recordings of situations gone bad were the stuff of nightmares. It was a real attention getter and motivator; I still have some of the books and notes from those classes. Those programs probably saved an awful lot of lives, along with body armor and better tactics.

It's interesting to see how much attention gets focussed on who has the coolest gun even today instead of mindset, training, and tactics.