View Single Post

Old 03-20-2012, 11:59 PM

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock77 View Post
I have never read anything documented from Smith & Wesson regarding N-frames having specific heat treatments for different calibers.

There is no doubt that cylinders receive heat treatment and I believe that is across the board.

The determining factor in strength has a great deal more to do with the thickness of the cylinder walls than any other factor. I am the owner of a Ruger Redhawk in .357 that was made for a very short time in the eighties, I have never seen a cylinder with more metal thickness than this revolver displays’ and I have still never exceeded top posted loads for this caliber.

I have complete faith that Smith & Wesson designs their N-frames to comfortable exceed any SAAMI standards developed for the respective calibers.
I agree completely. I was a machinist for about 25 years and it just makes no sense that they would heat treat 44 spl frames differently than
the .44 mag frames. Mistakes do happen when raw material is pulled and sent to the machines. Pulling the wrong heat lot is one that could be totally eliminated by heat treating them identically. Also lets them make whatever caliber they need if they have a "surprise" order for one caliber or the other come in. Ditto for the cylinders.