Thread: Cylinder play
View Single Post

Old 03-22-2012, 10:35 PM

Liked 25,707 Times in 8,687 Posts

dfariswheel:

I respectfully beg to differ with your statement.

First check to make sure your revolver is not loaded, cock the hammer and test for side to side play of the cylinder. More than likely there will be a small amount. Pull the trigger back, hold it and check the play once again. The cylinder will lock up tighter than it was prior to the hammer falling due to the fact that the hand has moved up holding the cylinder in a tighter position. You can actually see his happen (watch the hand) if you do this with the cylinder swung out and pull back on the thumb piece release which will allow you to cock the revolver with the cylinder opened.

This is the case with each and every S&W I have ever seen. Now I am not saying that if you exert enough pressure the cylinder will not move at all, all I am stating is that the pulling of the trigger which raises the hand to its most upward position will tighten up the cylinder more than it is prior to pulling the trigger. Some slight amount of play is essential, but the cylinder will be noticeably tighter than prior to pulling the trigger all the way rearward as it is when fired.

I have never known a S&W revolver not to act this way.

As I am sure you already know, the job of the forcing cone is to help the bullet align with the barrel in case it is not 100% lined up already. Revolvers that are badly out of time will exhibit heavy leading, but the gun should still fire without any incident.

Respectfully,
Chief38

Last edited by chief38; 03-22-2012 at 10:58 PM.