View Single Post

Old 03-24-2012, 08:00 AM

Liked 6,250 Times in 2,325 Posts

I learned to sharpen knives and axes as part of the field craft requirements of the Camping merit badge in the Boy Scouts. The principles are the same regardless of if one is using a sharpening stone or some other sort of device. On a really dull knife, you have to establish an edge. This will require a stone/abrasive of about medium grit. A coarse grit is not something you want to use on a knife for sharpening. Look closely at the knife and try to follow the same angle as the original factory grind. Once the edge is at least established, a fine stone will allow you to polish and refine it to the mirror smooth (at least to the naked eye) finish that everyone so appreciates. I have always liked the Arkansaw stones for sharpening my knives. There are many other good choices available. For really heavy hard work, I prefer the edge not to be so thin. For whittling, etc., I work the edge to a more thinner angle as it eases the movement of the blade through the wood and allows easier detail in cutting. HTH. Sincerely. brucev.