View Single Post

Old 03-24-2012, 03:19 PM
US Veteran

Liked 249 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65kaiser View Post
Okay I heard several versions but what is the proper way to sharpen a blade? I have never been able to get that razor sharp edge.
Sir, FWIW, I've long used Arkansas stones. They work very well on carbon steel, but not on certain stainless alloys. Stainless is often used in industrial applications for its abrasion resistance, so maybe that's why.

I've also tried ceramic sticks and a jig-type thing that clips onto the blade and maintains the angle for you. Both worked well for certain things, but not for general use. The jig thing was good for re-establishing an edge on a badly abused knife. Kind of a pain to use, though. The ceramic sticks (the ones I had stuck into a block of wood in a "V" shape) were good for touching up an established edge, but not for really dull knives.

Here lately I've been testing the mousepad and sandpaper method for convex grind edges. Google "convex grind sharpening" for background and instructions, or just click here. There are several YouTube videos about it, some quite good. The method works pretty well, especially on knives that are resistant to the Arkansas stones. You'll need several different grades of sandpaper, progressing from 400 grit (for really dull/abused knives) up to 1600 or even 2000 grit for very fine edges.

I don't normally bother with a leather strop (I don't shave), but that's a finishing touch to a very fine edge. Some folks will use a piece of leather embedded with a polishing compound after getting the initial edge (with a stone or whatever), and then finish with a plain leather strop.

Hope this helps, and Semper Fi.

Ron H.