View Single Post

Old 03-24-2012, 06:06 PM

Liked 3,067 Times in 839 Posts

There are 2 steps that may be necessary. If a knife is very dull, you will need to shape the edge before you can sharpen it. I have some adhesive backed sandpaper that I attach to a pane of glass or a clean piece of MDF. I will start with a 220 grit paper and then a 600 grit paper. I sand with the edge trailing as illustrated in the link at post #16. You should get to a point that there is a burr on the edge. I try to get a 15-20 degree angle on the edge. This step is only necessary if the knife is very dull.

I use a black Arkansas stone to take the burrs off.

If you have an edge that just a bit dull, then use a ceramic rod like the video in post #16 to sharpen the blade.

It this point I will polish the edge using a white polishing compound on the back of an old belt that I glued to a piece of MDF or wood. Again I use a trailing edge.
You want a belt that has a rough back. Glue the rough side up.

You can find the polishing compound at knife making supply sites by searching for "white polishing compound" or you may find at at some hardware stores.

To polish the entire blade, I use a felt wheel on my wood lathe and use several grades of compound.