View Single Post

Old 03-25-2012, 01:30 PM

Liked 262 Times in 129 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
Good question. I believe it is 5 degrees per side, but Brownell's sells two basic cutters, for various calibers, in 5 degrees and 11 degrees. The factory typically uses something around 7 or 8 degrees. The 11 degree cutter won't work. It will leave a two step forcing cone. Not good...

Actually, the angles are reversed so an 11 degree cut is in reality a 79 degree, but that is hair splitting. I cut all mine with the Brownell's tool with the 11 degree cutter. I did it recently on a brand new 442-1 and it shoots a ragged hole dead nuts on with no fouling. A person does NOT need the plug gauges and all that other stuff, only the basic cutting tool, rod, rod guide & handle. It takes all of five minutes if that and is the best thing you can do a revolver IMO. I have never seen one make a revolver shoot worse and most times makes them shoot far better AS well as brings the shots into zero for windage as it trues up the bullet entry into the barrel.

I had a local gunsmith do mine for years and he only charged me $10. I watched him do it and he taught me how. It's not rocket science so I bought my own as I live only an hour from Brownell's. I don't have to monkey with Lewis Lead Cleaners anymore for that matter. Besides, using a tuft of bronze wool on a used bore brush is far faster for cleaning lead if you have it for that matter IMO.

Just remember that when using the tool that you are only trying to "true" up the forcing cone and not making a blunderbuss. You will know when pulling & turning the cutter when it smooths out that you are finished. Keep the cutter well oiled and only turn clockwise.

My best forcing cone story: in late 2007 I bought an Uberti revolver that shot about 5" left and several inches high at 7 yds. I proceeded to chamfer the forcing cone and it was THE roughest one I had ever seen (felt)!! It was like a mile of bad gravel road!! The tool chattered for several minutes cleaning out the rough spots. After cleaning up and giving it a good burnishing with the cutter head I went back to the range and all shots at 7 yds. (CAS distance) were in a ragged hole dead centered!!

If you own & shoot a lot of revolvers you need the basic kit IMO.

Last edited by Boge; 03-25-2012 at 01:36 PM.