View Single Post

Old 03-27-2012, 05:50 PM

Liked 838 Times in 262 Posts

Something nice in my hands today! Here is a "new" set of Kearsarge stocks to have a look at. New to us anyway, this gun has essentially spent the last 50 years (give or take) tucked away in a safe. Thats an old New Service, in .45 Colt.
The stocks are an example of Charlie's earlier work. Later on he used the "pinhole" pattern as a background, while these older stocks have this chiseling toolmarked background to them. The difference (I am sure) is that this set was carved by hand entirely, while later he was using a rotary tool, today known best as a dremel tool.
Really, I am not sure why we compare Ropers to Kearsarge at all, because once you get beyond "custom stocks" there is little about them that was done the same. The Ropers I've actually seen are few (I've seen more Kearsarge), but this forum and the photos of Ropers found here clearly show that they were also 2nd to none in their workmanship and quality. Every bit as top shelf as Kearsarge. I can't say I'd pass on a set of Roper's, Mr. Burg!

Remove the stocks, find a little surprise. A first rate engraving job, too. I wonder who R.M. King was? Note the monogram on the right stock.

The man who owns this revolver was going to trade me this set of Kearsarge stocks, for a set of correct factory Colt stocks for this revolver. But, when I took them off and found the nice engraving underneath, I realized I couldn't complete the deal. Then I pointed out the monogram, which the owner hadn't even noticed (!!!), and it was quickly and mutually decided the stocks have to stay with this revolver.
But thats okay, because I now am also on the trail of a set which is on an early Detective's Special.....guess you'll have to wait and see what might materialize in the coming weeks!

Last edited by geoff40; 03-27-2012 at 06:02 PM.
The Following 10 Users Like Post: