View Single Post

Old 03-28-2012, 03:12 PM

Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinkMD View Post
How does shooting a steel framed J frame like a 2" 60 with warmer 357 loads compare to a 500 S&W? I've shot some 158 gr loads which go about 1250 out of a 4" barrel, and they felt pretty explosive in a little gun. I was able to shoot about 30 of these loads before taking a break for the day. (well my skin cracked open and started bleeding between my thumb and pointer finger)

So what do 350 gr rounds feel like out of a 8 or 10.5" 500 S&W?
Are you considering purchasing a 500 or just asking out of curiosity? It's hard to compare perceived recoil of a J-frame vs an X-frame 500... They are two totally different animals... True a 500 has significant recoil... however it has a much larger handle to give you a solid grip, plus overall the gun is pretty heavy to also help absorb recoil.

I just shot a Magnum Research BFR in 500 S&W a little bit ago for a case I had and I used 500 grain Hornady ammo.. The heavier the bullet.. the more the recoil! The recoil is stout but manageable... this particular model has a pretty long barrel... I shot it off hand, but if I were to own one with that long of barrel I would take a rest off something if I were shooting it for accuracy... which again would help with recoil. I know they are also making 500 S&W Special ammunition now if recoil was that big of concern or werent interested in reloading...

If you have a particular application (hunting.. just plinking, etc) we could probably give you better advice for comparisons. For the most part (not always) the 500 is a niche setup that you will take to the range and shoot a box or two of ammo here or there... Or setup for hunting... It's probably not something you would take to the range to shoot all day long...

Oh and if you hear of any of those 629s for sale ANIB with half of box of ammo, let me know! I love 629s!

Last edited by SAWMAN; 03-28-2012 at 03:30 PM.