View Single Post

Old 03-28-2012, 11:47 PM

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

I've seen the video. I'm familiar with the lawsuit. I've heard both sides of this argument in a much more civil tone than this thread has taken.

Proponents of this modification say it's a lot better trigger, "better" being defined as a lot lighter. The video "says" there has been no light strikes since doing the mod IF it's done right.

Arguments against the modification say that if S&W wanted those springs gone, they wouldn't be there. Those same folks also are used to the trigger pull on their Sigma's as it's comparable to a double action revolver. They also say that you can take the trigger assembly apart using the same video and polish all the rough edges and such. That alone will give you a very nice trigger pull although it will still be heavier, heavier being defined as about 12 pounds, same as on a double action revolver.

You also see folks that do a combination of things, as is also reported in the video and in various forum threads. Some will just take out the "pigtail" spring and do the polish job on the rest of the assembly. This results in about a reported 10 pound trigger pull.

The Sigma has no safety other than its "heavy" double action trigger. Lightening it to 6-7 pounds I doubt is recommended by anyone who is going to use it as a home defense weapon as in a high stress situation accidents happen. They happen a lot easier when you just modified your pistol to have a trigger pull that is half of what the factory intended. Have fun explaining an accidental death to the district attorney with such a modification. I know I'd feel guilty as all heck if I had an accident with a weapon I had modified to such a degree.

Let's keep things friendly no matter what you decide to do or not to do with your weapon.

Do the research on your own, find out what I did. Should your Sigma have a "gritty" trigger as well as extra long take-up contact S&W and see what they recommend if you're not comfortable polishing the inner components of the trigger mechanism. S&W's customer service/warranty is top notch and I'm sure you'll get a resolution to your issue. S&W, however, will NOT do a trigger job just because you think the pull is too heavy.