View Single Post

Old 03-29-2012, 04:24 PM

Liked 5,342 Times in 2,685 Posts

It's a complex mix of factors including a short trigger stroke, a lack of both initial and sustainment training and, in many cases, a failure to follow the directions in, or even read, the owners manual. Many owners compound the issue by installing trigger kits that reduce the trigger pull to levels the factory would never sanction. [Most factory specs for semi-automatic pistols specify a trigger pull of not less than 4-4 1/2 lbs. I'm not a Glockophile, IIRC, the stock trigger is around 5 lbs. You'll see kits approaching 1/2 that.]

A local recently shot himself by 'doing a Plaxico' and carrying a Glock without a holster (specifically a holster that covers the trigger/trigger guard area) and bled to death in front of his family. [Failure to read/follow the manual.]

DC Metro, at the last time I checked, had averaged 1 ND per month for over 12 years. Miami Metro had so many "accidents" they allegedly coined the term "unintentional discharge" to keep from losing their liability insurance coverage. [Inadequate training and a multitude of other issues.]

This could go on, but I believe you get the idea. I will note that there are agencies and indiviuals with no issues with the product, but, then there's the rest of the story.

Last edited by WR Moore; 03-29-2012 at 04:27 PM.