View Single Post

Old 03-29-2012, 08:37 PM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

As you can see I'm a bit of a fan of the J Point Reflex and J P Rifles mount for it.

Purchased 2 more J Point Reflex sights, range report.-j-point-1-jpg

This particular setup produces a sight with a low degree of offset from the axis of the barrel, so at closer ranges you won't see the problems that happen with a lot of offset between the sight and barrel. In addition it sits in a position that makes if VERY easy to modify a standard off the rack holster to accept the gun with the sight mounted. One final plus for the J Point in particular is that it features a sight notch molded into the casing and that can be a real aid when you are at the "find the dot" stage.

BTW, since I mentioned the "find the dot" issue that will be a mild irritant with any open frame reflex sight when you first start shooting with one. Basically, you'll stand at the firing line waving the barrel around until you finally see that dot come into view. With the J Point that rear sight notch allows you to use the front sight to guide you in. Now, one bit of good news is that with practice you develop your pointing skills so that you'll point the gun naturally at your target and the dot will then be visible, however it does take practice.

Another issue with a reflex sight is that you can become too dependent on them. I've basically set my reflex equipped revolvers aside for the last 3 months in order to regain my skills for shooting with out of focus iron sights.

Following is a link to JP Rifles and the page for the J Point Reflex. I'll also warn you that they are a bit pricey.

JP Rifles