View Single Post

Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 AM

Liked 3,829 Times in 851 Posts

While I've seldom been accused of being mature I am getting older and my vision has suffered. I've worn glasses since I was a kid but now it's progressive bifocals and finding the "sweet spot" when shooting hand guns has become a pain. I still qualify no problem and do well in competition but I'm not as fast or as accurate as when I was a (slightly) younger man. I read up on the mini red dot sights (there's a ton of info on Gabe Suarez's site) and bought a new FNP-45 Tactical and mounted a Trijicon RMR on it (I know, not a revolver, but the principle is the same). What a difference!!! It is a completely different way of shooting! Instead of having to tip my head back and try to focus on the front sight I'm able to focus on my target and superimpose the dot onto it, both the target and the dot stay in perfect focus. It's like point shooting at longer distances. It has taken some getting used to, finding the dot an be a pain at first but on the FNP the dot cowitnesses with the sights just like on my patrol rifle. If I press the gun out as though lining up the sights instead of trying to find the dot, the dot appears right there on top of the front sight. So, now my sight picture is reversed, my target is in focus with a dot on it but my sights are fuzzy. And if the dot fails I still have the sights available. I'll be qualifying with this new rigin May, along with the 1911 I carry now, it'll be interesting to see if there's a difference and how much.