View Single Post

Old 04-05-2012, 08:03 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,019 Times in 998 Posts

For the 5 years I've been looking for a close range (<150 yds), low noise, pest control rifle to replace the 32-20 that has served this role for a LONG time. I also wanted something that was convenient to take to the 100 yd rifle range on Saturdays for relaxed plinking. First rife I tried was a H&R single shot heavy barrel in 223. That rifle shot very well but I decided I having another rifle that required reloading conflicted with my relaxation on weekends. Next rifle I tries was a single shot H&R in 17HMR. This rifle had very good accuracy and did not require reloading. However coyotes are becoming more of a problem around our house so I decided I wanted a 22 mag.

I shoot left handed and have been wanting a left handed Savage 93 in 22 Mag since they first came out. Couple months ago I broke down and ordered a new one from the LGS. At the LGS CCI Stingers in 22LR cost $7 per box. CCI 30V-max 22 Mag cost $14 per box. The 22 Mag is not as accurate as either of the two rifles it replaced but I feel it is an acceptable choice for groundhogs at <125 yds and Coyotes at <100. At $14/50 it’s cheap enough I don’t feel I need to reload for it. I think if you are seeing a lack of 22 mag available in your area it’s because of higher demand rather than lower production. One nice thing about the 17 fad is that used 22 mag rifles have been a bargain lately. I’ve found two Marlin 22 mags on used racks this year with scopes for $125, at different shops. Gave one to my son.