View Single Post

Old 04-11-2012, 08:31 PM

Liked 17,263 Times in 6,632 Posts

If you search around the forum, you'll find a number of threads on this topic. The J frames, and it seems the hammerless ones in particular, have stiff triggers.

I bought a Wolff Springs rebound spring and main spring kit. I think the stock rebound spring is 18 pounds, and I used the 13 pound one. The stock mainspring is 8 1/2 pounds and the replacement is 8 pounds.

I'm by no means an expert, but I found the work pretty easy. Brownells has a video showing how to do it. Although they show a nice rebound spring tool, after reading around, I found out you don't need one.

Buy a decent set of screwdrivers because you absolutely want the screw driver to fit the screw precisely. It seems, again from reading, that it's very common for people to bung up the screws and the finish on their pistols by using craptastic screw drivers.

My gun is a 442, but all of the J frames are the same. I found that mine was totally dry inside, so in addition to the springs I oiled it.

I also found that by putting the gun inside a large ziploc bag I was able to do the work and not lose any parts. Small parts and springs mean that parts will fly around the room if you don't take steps to contain them.

After replacing the springs and oiling the internals, I found the trigger pull much better.

Before you do anything, search around the forums. There is a wealth of S&W expertise here and I've found the members more than willing to help.