Thread: 16-4?
View Single Post

Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,147 Times in 4,810 Posts

It depends on what you want to do with the gun. I used a 16-4 for informal bullseye shooting (indoors) for a couple winters. I liked the full lug barrel. Shot .32 wadcutters at somewhere between 600-700 FPS in .32 SWL cases. If you threw a wild shot with that gun, there was NO doubt who to blame. I did shoot it better than my K38 with similar wadcutter loads. Not sure why - maybe because I just was more interested in it.

If I were out in the field with it, I would rather have the conventional barrel, but those guns have become so insanely valuable that I would have a hard time putting one in a holster. I fixed that problem by having Hamilton Bowen cobble one together on a Model 14 frame. Very nice little gun and works well.

I wouldn't have any use for one of these guns with other than a 6-inch barrel. A 4-inch gun would be cute, but I would hate to lose the sight radius.

Prices are all over the place on 16-4s, but never fairly cheap like they once were. K32s are always out of sight and I suppose from now on they always will be.