View Single Post

Old 04-13-2012, 03:03 PM

Liked 133 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
With some low-cost reloaded ammo I've bought, I have started a period of practicing with the same ammo I am now keeping ready in my guns for home defense and for personal defense: 165 gr JHP. It seemed like a good idea to try to use the same ammo for practice and for actual defense.
All JHP's are not equal. For self defense purposes I keep my semi auto's loaded with high quality factory self defense ammo or police surplus ammo. I would not consider using inexpensive reloaded or re-manufactured ammo. The chance of having to use a firearm for self defense in a lifetime is very small, even much smaller chance it will need to be fired. Regardless of the odd's, I want the best performing, reliable ammo I can have should such an event occur and how well any small companies reloads perform is too much of an unknown to rely on them.

Practice with the same load used for self defense isn't important IMO and going to a lower quality ammo to do so makes no sense. If the reloads are cheap enough to practice with then use them at the range but get some good factory SD or police surplus ammo to keep loaded when things go bump in the night. If similar ammo is an important factor to you then get some major factory 165 gr SD ammo by Federal, Remingotn, Winchester, Hornady or Speer.