View Single Post

Old 04-14-2012, 08:36 PM

Liked 282 Times in 164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
I have two 1911's and from what I have read the 1911 was designed to shoot ball type ammunition. I can't get HP ammo to feed reliably so all I have is ball type ammo which chamber flawlessly. Why are all ball type described as target rounds? A 230 gr projectile traveling at 890 fps and 400 + ft lbs of muzzle energy is NOT enough for self defense? What am I missing? HP's do not consistently expand according to many ballisticians. So, other than for marketing purposes, why the hype? We all know shot placement is key.
What you are missing is the fact that ball or solid non-HP bullets in service calibers ALL have a a record of dangerous overpenetration in soft tissue. And even some heavy-for-caliber JHP bullets have a history of non-expansion overpenetration.

As a side note, we all know that shot placement is King, but unless you train nearly every day like many of the "High Speed Low Drag" special operators throughout the world, when you are confronted with a life or death, fight or flight situation, real shot placement goes out the window.