View Single Post

Old 04-17-2012, 12:53 AM

Liked 3,961 Times in 1,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protestant View Post
Ok...I'm pretty much a novice, but I currently have a full size M&P 9mm and I LOVE IT!

I'd like some clarification on the type of 9mm rounds I can use in it.

I've basically been stocking up on the 9mm Luger rounds, but could I also use 9mm Makarov or 9mm Browning rounds?

What's the difference or benefits of each type?

Any help would be appreciated!
Welcome aboard! As others have said, your pistol is chambered for 9mm (9x19) also known as 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm NATO.

9mm Makarov is 9x18, typically used in Russian firearms.
9mm Browning is .380 ACP or 9mm Short, etc...

The different rounds available in 9mm Luger (9X19) can be overwhelming at first. I remember trying to sort it all out as a new shooter.

The general basics of 9mm (9x19)...(and if I'm wrong my fellow forum members will correct me).

The common projectile weights are:
  • 115gr
  • 124gr
  • 147gr

The lighter the projectile weight, the faster it will travel given a standard charge. The lower the projectile weight, the slower it will travel given a standard charge.

Kinetic energy is dependent on speed and mass, so you're going to have to determine for yourself which projectile weight is compatible with your shooting preferences and intended use.

The projectile types I commonly encounter are:
  • FMJ - Full Metal Jacket: round nose, flat nose.
  • JHP - Jacketed Hollow Point
  • LRN - Lead Round Nose
  • HP - Hollow Point (may or may not be jacketed)
  • TNJ - Total Nylon Jacket a.k.a. Nylock

LRN/FMJ are the least expensive. JHP's are more expensive.

The commonly found case types I encounter are:
  • Brass
  • Aluminum
  • Steel Case (usually polymer coated)
Brass is reloadable. The other two are not.

Powder charges:
  • Standard SAAMI range
  • +P = ~10% increase over the top end SAAMI range
  • +P+ = No set SAAMI standard
SAAMI | Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute

As power level increases, ammo cost increases.

Intellectually, I understand how the different combinations of projectile weight & charge affect felt recoil and affect handling of the firearm. I really didn't know until I fired the different bullet weights and charge levels out of the same gun. I suggest sampling a few different 9mm (9x19) types to find out which one works best for you.

For example, I use 115gr, steel case, FMJ's for range practice because it is the least expensive ammo for punching holes in paper.

From experimenting with different bullet weights & charges, I've settled on 147 GR JHP for defensive rounds. It works for me.
It's more expensive. I fire a few rounds of this ammo every 3 months just to make sure the POA/POI settings in my head are right.

If I can't get a hold of 147gr JHP defensive ammo, my secondary choice is 124gr JHP +P ammo.

Now you would think that a 124gr +P rounds will perform the same across manufacturers, and brands within manufacturers, but they don't. There is a nice chart at the end of the 9x19 Wikipedia entry that illustrates this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9719mm_Parabellum

Tnoutdoors 9's Youtube Channel provides good visuals of the different 9mm rounds. I enjoy the newer series of tests where he uses Sim-Test media as opposed to gallon wet-pack jugs.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...F&feature=plcp

Again, welcome to the addiction.

Last edited by JaPes; 04-17-2012 at 01:06 AM.
The Following 9 Users Like Post: