View Single Post

Old 04-20-2012, 04:12 PM

Liked 307 Times in 110 Posts

Keep in mind that it doesn't even have to be a felony necessarily. In addition to an 18 year old "kid" (even though he's legally an adult) being convicted of some heinous felony like writing bad checks or criminal mischief (vandalism, i.e., spraying grafitti on a boxcar) being barred from possessing a firearm for life, so is a person convicted of misdemeanor domestic assualt. I've seen people, usually men, convicted of that for very minor family disputes, often where some pushing and shoving takes place where it is totally a case of "mutual combat", nobody is injured in the slightest, and yet the police tend to side with the woman in such instances, even where she might have been the instigating party. Conviction of such a misdemeanor is a lifetime bar to owning or possessing a firearm. So is having an order-of-protection taken out.....again, often for very minor conduct, sometimes nothing more than verbal sparring. Think about it next time you are tempted to say to your wife or girlfriend "I'd like to kick your a**!" I've seen OPs granted for no more than that, and if it happens to you, you can kiss your 2A "rights" sayonara. Of course, none of us would never say such a thing in a million years, so I guess we have nothing to worry about. But whatever happened to the ol' "sticks and stones" principle?
The Following User Likes This Post: