View Single Post

Old 04-23-2012, 07:16 PM

Liked 156 Times in 114 Posts
Question Why have a thumb safety on an M&P Pistol!

Why would anyone want a thumb safety on an M&P so now bear with me on this? The M&P like the Glock is a striker fired weapon and there is no hammer to strike the firing pin which could possibly fire if the weapon were to be dropped but there is no hammer on an M&P!

While I do have one M&P that does have one just like my old model 59 it also has a mag disconnect the same as my model 59 but I bought it for a good price and don't even use the safety as it is unnecessary.

The only way a striker fired weapon will go off is if the trigger is pulled and with the cantilever or two stage trigger design that M&P has this almost has to be a purposeful act.

I own 5 M&P's 7 if you count the .357SIG barrels I have for my 40c and 40 fullsize and all are always fully loaded at all times even in the safe. I have had a Model 59 since 1982 and the same is true with it and it nor any other weapon has ever gone off without me pulling the trigger. Now I do chamber a round in them all and with the model 59 since it has a hammer I do engage the safety and disengage when ready to fire the weapon, it is natural as I am sure thumb safety is with those that carry the 1911 type weapons.

Can someone come up with a good reason to have a thumb safety on a striker fired weapon, I would sure like to hear it because I can see no logical reason for one in the first place!

Last edited by Houdini1953; 04-23-2012 at 07:18 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: