Old 04-24-2012, 02:42 PM

Liked 736 Times in 398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGT View Post
Why not have a safety? ?
Agreed . . . but as for:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGT View Post
The danger of any firearm is not that it will "just go off" for no reason. The danger is that the trigger will be pulled when not intended. If that were not the case, there would be NO accidental discharges. If a manual safety can help eliminate that, why not have one?
Unfortunately, the argument that, if it helps, "Why not have one?" easily can - and has - led to calls for safeties, then mechanical locks, then embedded locks, then biometric safeties . . . and ultimately a battery-operated gun. I can't remember the last time I reached for a flashlight and it actually worked as I needed it to lol.

Personally, I need a stronger argument. And for me it is simple.

Pulling the trigger is what fires the (striker) gun. A heavy trigger pull is often cited as preventing accidental discharge, and I'm sure it helps.

But that same citation also implicitly recognizes that an accidental, light trigger impact is possible . . . and personally I'm not interested in estimating how heavy an accidental trigger contact is likely to be. Nor am I interested in a trigger-mounted safety for the very same reason.

I've heard the arguments that a safety is not required, training and safe practices are the answer. Again from my perspective, a second mechanical device (ie, a safety) requires two accidents to occur. Requiring two actions (eg, 2 signatures, 2 keys to launch, etc) is not perfect, but is a well-recognized approach to preventing "accidents" while maintaining operability.

As for the safety interfering with rapid use . . . its sort of hard to argue that training overcomes the need for a safety without admitting that training should successfully incorporate releasing the safety as a routine part of your "draw".

So . . . personally . . . safeties that are easy to operate as part of the draw . . . like, eg, the M&P9 that I own . . . are positive safety features. When they are available, I will take them.

Safeties like on the SR22P (also a decocker) do not qualify for me - I tolerate it only because the SR22P is not a defensive weapon for me. The absence of a safety on my Ruger LCP is barely tolerated - I like the weapon for pocket carry, but wish it had a safety like the M&P's.

As always, YMMV.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: