View Single Post

Old 04-25-2012, 04:26 PM

Liked 5,384 Times in 2,711 Posts

Actually, I've been carrying firearms for a paycheck since 1969. Making it to senior citizen status has involved a firm grasp of reality and a heaping helping of dumb luck. Since we're speaking of reality, most all people fire 'till slide lock. In that condition, there is no difference between with/without the magazine safety.

I will conceed that if Howard Homeowner decides to do a top off reload, he will probably drop the partial mag and then go fishing for the replacment (although I doubt Howard has a spare in his jammies). Given his preoccupation with trying to get the weapon up (find the mag?), an aggessive intruder could be too close for it to make a difference if the weapon is a functional firearm or a impact weapon. On the other hand, Howard is also the person most likely to benefit from the inability to fire a round accidentally left in the chamber, so the sword cuts both ways. [Not to pick on Howard too much, it's occasionally entertaining watching some officers search for spare mags at M4 bolt lock on our stress course.]

Good idea for a question on a limted access site about any known tac reloads. A thread on the magazine safety produced something over 30 documented saves in a day or two. No injuries/deaths cited.