View Single Post

Old 04-27-2012, 08:28 PM

Liked 156 Times in 114 Posts

Perhaps I should have stated earlier why I see little sense in the thumb or frame safety for a striker fired weapon as there is no hammer to strike a firing pin and make the gun go bang from dropping it. With a striker fired gun the trigger is pretty much the only method of making the gun go bang, both Glock and Smith and Wesson approach the use of the trigger in different methods that both act as safeties the Smith uses a cantilever trigger and Glock has the weird looking two part trigger.

When I pull a weapon it is 98% certain that my next action is to use the weapon and that means that first I will draw the weapon and then acquire a sight picture and then squeeze the trigger to hit a target. I keep a round in the chamber of all my weapons (now with my model 59 I do have a safety and it does have a hammer so I do use the safety on that weapon only) my M&P's do not have a hammer because they are striker fired weapons and if they fall or get dropped to the ground they can not go off, you must pull the trigger for them to fire and this is the most modern method of firing a gun so the old steel and heavy guns of the past need this kind of stuff but the new guns are more sophisticated then that and take a different mindset.

It reminds me of my father who was a creature of habit who I asked one day as we were returning to the shop why did he get off the interstate 65 at Trinity Lane and then go through three school zones @ 15 mph only to get back on I-65 at Briley Parkway and then get off at Old Hickory Boulevard in Madison Tennessee taking about an extra 30 minutes each day and his answer was "that was the way he always went home to the shop" to which I said "Dad they completed I-65 15 years ago you don't have to get off on Trinity Lane and take Dickerson to Briley to get back on 65." He thought for a minute and said "you know you are right but it is just a habit and starting tomorrow I am gonna stay on 65 till the Old Hickory Boulevard exit and he did and we then saved 30 to 45 minutes from just going through school zones for no reason not to mention a slower speed limit.

So just because that is the way you have always done something does not mean that it is safer or better or even faster and it might be costly in other matters! This is my opinion but for those that feel better with a safety then fine with me I have one M&P with a safety and it is my newest 40 fullsize and if it is not on my person then yes I do put the safety on but if I put it on myself the safety is off!