Thread: Kit gun grips
View Single Post

Old 04-28-2012, 08:03 AM

Liked 9,400 Times in 4,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo44 View Post
Yeah, Baby Cokes! But they would only work on Model of 1953 Sq butt I frames. They'd have to have a filler for I frame grip frames, both round and rebated. But not a problem.

These are on a round butt and close as I've gotten to Cokes out of a pair of factory targets:
Yes, H44, at your suggestion I got a pair of those very grips (shout out of thanks to VM, here ) and they feel goood! In one of our exchanges, you suggested Coke-i-fying a pair of these, but this particular pair is pristine, and I can't bear to touch them with rasp or sandpaper.

As for a filler, if the Roper-style grips were cut for even a square J-frame grip, they still would locate securely on the front and back of the grip frame and on the pins at the bottom of the grip frame, so with 22 LR or even 32 S&W-L recoil they hold up fine... I did it with a pair of Mustangs on my old beater 32 RP for several years with good effect. Of course if the gap really offends the senses, Accra-glas (tm) or even Plastic Wood (tm) could be used to fill it in since it's completely hidden anyway. Or you could stash a tightly rolled hundred dollar bill there for real emergencies!

Stay tuned for the next project... upgrading a pre-War 6" RP in 32 S&W-L to be a "twin" for the HFT! That pair will really deserve a matching pair of "special" grips. I sure wish Lew Sanderson were still with us.

Froggie