View Single Post

Old 04-29-2012, 11:13 AM
US Veteran

Liked 50,516 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Combat Masterpiece!

The Combat Masterpiece, later called the Model 15, was probably the ultimate expression of the classic .38 Special medium-frame revolver from Smith & Wesson. Although the basic frame and rudimentary lockwork originated way back in 1899, the Combat Masterpiece debuted in 1949. It was designed to double as both a defense piece and a target arm, and it certainly filled the bill.

It was equipped with the latest S&W adjustable rear sight, and the front sight was the classic Baughman ramp model for a snag-free draw. The hammer was either semi-target or target, and the trigger came in various styles as well. This revolver was made back in the heyday of S&W production care, and the parts were hand-fitted to assure smooth and proper function. The Magna-style stocks were individually fitted to the frames. The barrel rib was grooved, as was the rear sight topstrap and the back of the grip frame. The bluing was superb; that classic S&W blue-black color that was so deep you could swim in it. A trigger overtravel stop was incorporated. The K-frame seemed to be just about right in the hands of most folks; it was neither too light nor too heavy. The .38 special was a proven round that most people could handle well, both accurate and sufficiently powerful for self-defense.

This revolver was indeed a "masterpiece."

Production of the piece continued for 50 years, finally terminating officially in November of 1999, although some special editions were subsequently made.

The revolver pictured here is a Model 15-3, which I estimate was made in 1971. It has a semi-target hammer and a grooved trigger. The stocks are numbered to the gun on the inside. This is a particularly nice specimen, virtually untouched after so many years; I acquired it just recently.

I thought I'd share a picture of this classic revolver; a somewhat larger one is available in the pictures and albums section of the forum.

John

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 04-29-2012 at 12:13 PM.
The Following 72 Users Like Post: