View Single Post

Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 PM

Liked 8,893 Times in 3,546 Posts

Daimler,

Don't take this wrong, but one of the problems with the tendency of members to not reveal their location is that no one has a clue as to where you are, parent tongue, etc.

QL and LFD both make estimates based on certain parameters, and, at least in the case of LFD, the results are based on a class of propellants rather than a specific one. Naturally there will be some deviation when a specific propellant is used.

The value of these two programs is in their ability to give a good indication of what to expect, if no published data is available. Where there is data, particularly when it was published by the propellant manufacturer, always take their data rather than what the ballistic program generates. The manufacturer has shot the data and knows what it does. Both QL and LFD are giving only an electronically generated guess!

I have no idea what is available to you, and what factory published date you have for non-European powders. As I am sure you know, we have a plentitude of load data published by several component manufacturers, reloading tool manufacturers, powder manufacturers and distributors. It is amazing how the various sources vary! After over 50 years of reloading, experimentation, wildcatting and study I have come to one conclusion, when there are discrepancies in data, use the manufacturers figures!

Yes, I was, and am, incredulous that you would give more credit to a ballistics estimation program than to the manufacturer of the propellant. Hopefully you now understand better why.

Just one more thing, and it is part of the same answer. I have never had any surprises when using manufacturers data, whether it be DuPont/IMR, Winchester, Hercules/Alliant, or even Hodgdon. I have had a few very bad surprises however when a bullet manufacturers data was used. Without naming names here is an example. Bullet makers data, 125 gr JHP, .38 Special, supposedly standard pressure. This was before +P! Bullet makers charge, starting 10 gr, max. 12 gr. Result, primer cratering more severe than often seen with .357 Magnum at a nominal maximum pressure of 2 1/2 times what is appropriate for .38 Special, and this was at the starting load! Powder manufacturers data? 4.4 gr Maximum load!!! This is not the only example I could give you from personal experience, just the most eggregious!