View Single Post

Old 05-04-2012, 11:49 PM
US Veteran

Liked 49 Times in 33 Posts

Yep, a couple of times actually. Both ended up to be "office politics". I was an Assistant Director of Security at a large shopping mall in the Bay Area in California. One day I was called to the corporate offices and informed that I was going to be promoted and given my own account to run, a very large building in San Francisco, the Transamerica Finance group building and surrounding parking garages.
Now I'm sure a lot of people would have jumped at the chance. It was a very prestigious position with a massive raise, a company car and expense account, but one that I had no desire to do, I was happy where I was, the account was running smoothly and the mall management was very pleased with the company's performance, which they had been about ready to cancel the contract before I came on board.
Well, the VP said in no uncertain terms that if I didn't take the job, I was fired. I pointed out that the company's bylaws said that all transfers were to be at the employees request. They said they didn't care, which ticked me off and I left and went back to the mall office. My boss called me in and informed me that I was being fired for refusing to follow an order. I told him no biggie, I'd be at another job within two days, and I was. My boss was so pissed at the big boys that he talked the mall manager into going to in-house security and canceling the contract.

Was the lead man for the fabrication shop, 2nd shift, of a company that manufactured the big mowers you see the highway department and military using. I guess the Human Resources guy got mad at me because I complained to the manager about the quality of the people he was hiring for 2nd shift, especially after he hired a guy who couldn't speak a word of English, AND hired the guys son as well, so he could interpret for his dad...so that meant every time I wanted the older gentleman to do a different job, I had to stop the son from doing whatever HE was doing to tell his dad what I wanted done, so basically the three of us were standing around doing nothing for that time.
Well, that manage went to work at the main branch in Texas, and a new manager was put in place where I worked. The HR guy immediately started smoozing him up, and about a week later I was called in to the office when I came in for my shift and informed I was being terminated. When I asked what for, the HR guy said that I had called one of the new workers a "lazy bas@%$d", which I hadn't...I laughed and shook my head, and told the HR guy that he better be ready to pack his things, he kinda got a smug look on his face, so I just had to ask him." Did you NOT notice that the owner of this company and I have the same last name???" And though I knew that we weren't related as far as I know, it was worth it to watch his face turn about 14 shades of white as what I'd said sunk in..

I did contact the main office, I wrote about a 10 page letter detailing all of the problems at the plant, I addressed all the HR guys stupidities and activities, some of which could have gotten the company in some really hot water.

I was surprised to get a phone call from one of the company's Vice Presidents about a week later, also one of their legal reps on the line as well. He wanted to discuss the letter in detail, I think I spent about an hour and a half on the horn with him. I could tell that they were feeling me out about whether or not I intended on a wrongful termination suit, which I laughed and said nah, I had landed a Federal job with twice the pay, better benefits and climate controlled shop, my days of sweatbox labors were over...I did add that it would make me feel a whole lot better if the HR guy was given the boot though, as he was just setting the company up for failure if he continued on, and informed them that the new manager was nothing but a tool.

Week later my buddy who had worked on the 2nd shift with me stopped by the house to tell me that the HR guy had been walked out of the plant by the company president, and the manager had been replaced by one of the guys who had been there for years, whose name I had dropped in our conversation...just wish I could have been there for that one!