View Single Post

Old 05-05-2012, 10:06 PM
US Veteran

Liked 17,127 Times in 5,143 Posts

Never been fired. But I quit a job and beat them to the punch.

After I got out of the military I couldn't find a decent job. So I took a job at a BIG retail chain store as a night stocker. Right from the start the manager and I bumped heads.

Since I was assigned to the automotive department which was separate from the rest of the store, I was the only one to stock the shelves and the storeroom.

At first it was easy. But one night I got eight pallets of merchandise. Some of it rather heavy. Boxes of six one gallon jugs of antifreeze and auto batteries.

I was only 32 at the time and till in very good condition. But night after night of this took it's toll. So I asked for help. I was immediately branded a complainer and I got no help.

Then I caught my boss drinking on the job. Went to the store manager and he told me I was nuts. He knew the guy for years and wouldn't do such a thing.

After six months many employees were due to get a raise. When my boss called me into his office he explained that I wasn't doing as well as he expected so I was only to receive a nickel per hour raise. I was extremely angry but didn't say much.

I started to look for another job and was offered a job as a locksmith apprentice in another state which I accepted. Starting pay was twice as much and they paid for the move.

I never gave two weeks notice to my boss. I simply waited until one night 10 pallets came in. Then I informed my boss that I quit. Should have seen the look on his face when he realized that he would have to put away all that stuff! He acted like my best buddy to get me to stay. I laughed at him and walked out.

A year later I went back to that town to visit. I learned that my old boss and the store manager got fired for stealing.