View Single Post

Old 05-08-2012, 08:15 AM

Liked 6,250 Times in 2,325 Posts

Re: OP. More powerful. It's a wash. Optimum loads in either caliber produce energy levels approximately similar to the point that any difference is irrelevant. If the issue is on target effectiveness, it depends. Some out of emotion will laud whatever they have used, seen used, etc. Experience is by many valued beyond theory advanced from any source.

Some will appeal to FBI research, which to some degree may be of worth. Some will prefer testing that is closer to that done by Thompson-LaGarde substituting goats for live cattle and human cadavers. Personally I don't know of anyone existent who has shot and killed enough men to know what they are talking about. But, there is a pool of men who have done so. That is the pool of policemen across our nation.

The very highest one shot stops are recorded for the .357 Magnum. According to Handgun Stopping Power by Marshall and Sanow, Fed. and Rem. produce 125 gr. JHP loads that penetrate 13-13.5 inches in 10% ballistic gelletin and produce 96% one shot stops. There are similar effective .45 ACP loads with penetration of up to 13.3 inches and 94% one stop shots. The difference is likely not meaningful.

Personally I've only shot game animals. I've killed and seen killed deer, hogs and various small game. I've watched heavy caliber rifles fail with good hits. I've seen deer drop like they were struck with the hammer of thor even though the round used was only a .30-30 or a .243 Winchester. I've killed a lot of deer using a plain .30-06. Not one has ever stood back up after I shot it. They all died on the spot. Does that mean the .30-06 is infallible. Of course not. It is simply my experience.

So... back to the OP... which is more powerful? Depending on how you want to weigh the evidence, factors, etc. involved, it will be the .357 Magnum... or the .45 ACP. It all depends. From my perspective, I prefer the .357 Magnum. I've seen what it can do. For that reason a 4" 66-2 occupies our bedside table loaded with 125 gr. Rem. JHP's. At across the room or down the hall distances it will doubtless live up to its 96% reputation. On the shelf underneath that nightstand is a RIA 1911 loaded with Winchester 230 gr. FMJ's. I haven't gotten around to buying a JHP load for that pistol. When I do, it will be loaded with them. And it will be on that shelf. If in a time of need it is the first thing that comes to hand, in comparison to the .357 Magnum, it will almost certainly be equally effective. Which ever comes to hand first will not be of much concern.