View Single Post

Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 AM

Liked 395 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMMAssociates View Post
Russ:

Just IMHO, I'd not put too much of that +P through the Shield, or any gun I liked.... Extra wear for no good purpose.

"NATO"? I'm not sure what that is.... There are some 9mm loads out there for submachine guns (I thought these were German WWII loads, but who knows) that should NOT be fired in anything you like - quite likely to blow the gun up. But I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about.

+P+ loads should be avoided - there are no specs, and Brand X's +P+ may be twice as nasty (or half as nasty) as Brand Y's....

Just IMHO, +P and even magnum loads are strictly bragging rights on the range, and for SD use. Other than clothing issues (go with SD ammo with a plastic plug in the hollow point), if you get a good hit, the BG is going to be just about as badly messed up regardless. Hollow points are more efficient at stopping the BG, and won't penetrate walls or the guy behind him as easily. Anything hotter really just makes follow-up shots harder, and wears the gun.

Just IMHO, of course....

Your manual should warn about +P loads. If it doesn't, a few wouldn't hurt, but I'd stick to WallyWorld cheapies for the range. If you can't find out what that NATO stuff is, leave it on the shelf.

Regards,
Thanks

I purchased Winchester NATO 124 grain fmj from Cabela's. NATO is a military round.(I read on the internet it is 10% hotter than a regular load but I have not confirmed it)

I shot it through my Beretta Nano and it kicks like +p

Thanks for the advise. I don't want to damage my Shield. I only purchsed the stuff because my Nano would FTE on Federal Champion and WWB. I figured a heavier bullet may help with the FTE.

Russ