View Single Post

Old 05-09-2012, 12:02 PM

Liked 230 Times in 149 Posts
Default Best Sight & Mount with 15-22 MOE

I've decided to get an M&P 15-22 and have narrowed it down to the MOE version, due to the included folding Magpul MBUS sights and Magpul stock and grip. Looks great, and I hear it shoots just as well. The reason I wanted the folding sights is to leave them in place when mounting a scope.

I will be shooting mostly at 25 and 100 yards, mostly targets, with some golf balls and other reactive targets. My eyes are getting old, and I'd like to see the target holes at 100 yards through my rifle scope, so I think I need more than a 3-9 scope. Focusing to 25 yards is also important to me. Due to all that, I feel I need a scope with adjustable parallax correction down to at least 25 yards. That eliminates Nikon scopes (Buckmasters only goes down to 50 yards), unfortunately. I also want to be able to quick-mount the scope, without removing the MBUS sights, and hopefully not have to re-zero the scope.

Scopes I've found that spec-wise would do the job are the Mueller APT 4.5-14x40 Tactical and the Leapers UTG SWAT 3-12x44 Compact. The UTG is much shorter and a bit smaller in diameter, so might fit better, space-wise.

I'm looking at the NCStar AR15 Cantilever Quick Release 30 mm Scope Mount MARCQ. It LOOKS like it will provide a bit of clearance between the folded MBUS rear sight and the bottom of the scope. I need to get some actual dimensions to check, as while Magpul states the sights are 0.51" above the rail folded, they appear a bit higher on photos I've seen.

Okay, after all that, and since this is my first rifle (lots of pistols, but first rifle) and first scope/mount, does this sound good? Can you suggest a better combination?