View Single Post

Old 05-09-2012, 10:06 PM

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default Sorry, Moxie, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie View Post
Somebody's giving you a bum steer on Hoppe's #9 being bad for aluminum or aluminum alloys. I've been cleaning aluminum alloy framed guns (Star PD, Colt Commander) for well over 20 years and they look like new. Most recently I use Hoppe's on the Ruger LCR. I also use Break Free, Hoppe's gun oil, Rem-Oil, WD-40, a lot of the Outer's solvents and lubes, and various greases. I've used, in areas where I couldn't get anything else, GI solvent, LSA, various motor oils, and transmission fluid. By the way, GI solvent was/is similar if not identical to Hoppe's and we used it to clean M-16s which are made largely of aluminum alloy. There is a lot of mythology on this subject, and it's just that. Fear not! Hoppe's is good for your gun, and in a pinch, can be used as after shave. Besides, it's the #2 smell of freedom, after burnt JP-4.
I talked with S&W for half an hour this morning, and part of the conversation concerned Scandium, and its care... Nothing with ammonia or sugar in their bases... The finish of the weapon would be harmed... I've used blued steel, stainless steel, and aluminum, and true, never saw the impact of using Hoppe's #9 on any of them... HOWEVER, as S&W does not recommend use of #9, I'll go with Hoppe's Elite or CLP... I know, I know, weapons are "just" tools to some. To me, they are functional "art." They give me pleasure in having, using, and maintaining...

I wish you well,

OA, out...