View Single Post

Old 05-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Absent Comrade

Liked 7,201 Times in 3,064 Posts

Not too many of these fad cartridges get popular or stick with us. Yes they work but usualy isnt worth buying the dies and exspense. I have the .22 jet, the .256. The .357 maximum was a fad that dident last, the old .357/44 bain and davis, 45 gap etc. People wont pay for the unusual on used guns like had they not been altered etc.
Hey! I bought a beautiful first year winchester model 70 .22 hornet. Took it out and discovered it had been rechambered to .22 K-hornet. Had it not been messed with today that gun would be worth many times more than I could get for it as is. Actualy, the K-hornet is a better cartridge than the standard hornet. Thats what I mean when I say they arent worth messing with. Rarely will you get your money out. Might be okay as a project just to prove these things work. When I was young and dumber 40 years ago I converted a winchester model 73 to .38 special and a 92 to .357. Besides costing me the exspense of the work I instanly lost all collector value and probley sold them for less than a fraction of what they would bring now unmolested!