View Single Post

Old 05-10-2012, 04:27 PM

Liked 79 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthedude View Post
Wow. Thank you all. Tons of awesome info in this thread. I think the 642 sounds like a revolver that fits what I am looking for. I need a pistol that I can conceal well at work, since we aren't "technically" supposed to carry at work. I don't know if it differs by state, but where I live carrying there wouldn't be a legal issue, just a risk of discipline from the boss. With the area around my station getting increasingly worse, I look at it like my life is more important than my job. If I get the 642, which is rated for 38 special +p, can I shoot standard 38 special ammo, or does it have to be rated +p?
If i were in your shoes i would look at the new shield or a 638/438.

I carry a 442 on my ankle on duty. It is my "get off me gun." As stated, any targets more than 7 yards away frustrate me. It is a heavy double action trigger that is effective at close range.

In your situation it is one hell of a noisemaker. That might be enough of a deterrant on its own. I carry speer dot +p's for SD. I just got a shield so i can feel confident in my ability to drop a scumbag at 20 yards instead of 7.

I like the 442/438 because the black handle conceals better. The 438 has a "shrouded" hammer that you can pull back to get single action if you need it. That single action trigger will increase your 10-15-20 yard shot confidence dramatically. I have the 442 (no hammer exposed) because i routinely tromp through 1-2 feet of snow, mud, grass etc and on my ankle it is exposed to all of that nastiness.

If i could trade mine across i would have gotten a 638 and i would cover the hammer path with elec tape. Easily defeated with a DA trigger pull or with my thumb if the need for SA arises.