View Single Post

Old 05-10-2012, 04:38 PM

Liked 340 Times in 164 Posts

I have carried J frames, both as primary and back-up guns, for many years. I have a Model 60 (original 60, .38 Spl) which is a great gun, but purchased a no-lock 442 a few months ago. The 60 used to reside in my pocket; however, it has been replaced in that position by the 442. The 442 is much lighter (aluminum frame, steel cylinder), and it is a "hammerless" design, which eliminates the potential for the hammer to snag on your clothing while drawing (definitely happens with the 60 when taking it out of the pocket). In fact, it is so light, it doesn't even feel like it is in my pocket! I recommend either a 442 or 642 (aluminum frame or stainless steel frame, respectively), with the 642 being heavier. Use .38 Spl hollow points, and practice, practice, practice - these little lightweight snubbies can be challenging to shoot accurately, especially since they are double action only. My 442 has been treated to a professional action job, which really smoothed it up and helped a lot with trigger control and accuracy. Oh yes, ALWAYS use a good quality pocket holster, it keeps the weapon in place, facilitates the draw, and breaks up the outline of the gun, aiding significantly in concealment. Also, don't carry anything else in that pocket (keys, change, knives, etc.), as it will, inevitably, interfere with your draw. I highly recommend the right front pocket for carry (if you are right handed), keep your speed loaders or speed strips (a lot more concealable, a bit slower on reloads) in your other front pocket. Again, practice, practice, practice, and practice some more! Don't get discouraged early on, these light, short barreled guns take a lot of practice to master, but it is worthwhile. Best wishes.