View Single Post

Old 05-11-2012, 08:38 PM
US Veteran

Liked 414 Times in 175 Posts

I'm glad you have found your way to this forum and will be collecting these fine firearms.

BUT, I think your question, while valid, is like trying to swallow a delmonico steak whole. You are trying to take in more than you will be able to handle and more than most are willing to type in one sitting. The answer is a mile long and is almost purely subjective.

You may have more success and find it easier to be more specific.

For example, for my first revolver I bought a lnib 15-3 because it appealed to me, was within what I considered an entry level investment, and was common enough that I had a greater margin for error.

I then came here and asked questions about my gun and got lots of info about how great it is, the best loads, the year it was made, and several posts about other versions of the model 15 which included photos and remarks about other models.

I then started reading about the other guns people posted in my thread. Then I bought a 642 which got me asking about the look of stainless. That led me to a 686 and then a couple 586's. While talking here about how much I liked my full lug revolvers, someone posted in my thread with a photo of a 625. That got me into N frames and....

See where I'm going? With S&W you really can't make a bad choice but if you go straight for the pot of gold, you'll miss the rainbow on the way.

To play it safe, I would stay in the 70s, 80's and 90's to start. If you want what is generally considered to be quality that all collectors will acknowledge, look for unmodified guns with forged hammer and trigger. Boxes are nice but just go for a nice shooter. Trust me, you will soon be known as "the gun guy" around your pals because of hours you'll spend doing research about this and that.

There are some pieces in the 60s and earlier era that are to die for but I would not start there. It's a good place for a beginner to be taken for a ride if they meet the wrong seller.

However you approach this, you are a step ahead by coming here first. You have tapped into the deepest well of information on any subject, anywhere.

In summation, take your time and take sips, not gulps. My advice would be to start with a pretty, rugged, economical, useful gun. A four inch model 10 (M&P) from the 70s can be found for short money in great gondition. You will learn alot from it and can shoot it till it turns red without losing a dime.

Best wishes and good luck.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: