View Single Post

Old 05-12-2012, 08:26 PM

Liked 8,867 Times in 2,561 Posts
Default Pistol Wear Trump Card Subcompact holster/belt

I just got this Trump Card Subcompact holster/belt from the folks at Pistol Wear in Oklahoma. Hard to say how they could have better customer service - I posted a question to their website, they called the next day to answer, they were out of stock on what I wanted but made it up and got it in the mail overnight, and it arrived the next day. Oh, and for a pretty amazingly low price, too.

Pistol Wear started out making activewear holster/belts for folks who exercise. They advertise this smaller Trump Card model as primarily a concealment rig, though it would certainly work for activewear carry. The Subcompact model is the smallest of two sizes of the Trump Card

The Trump Card is a neoprene holster (the Subcompact is the smaller size - Ruger LCPs, D- or J-frame snubs and small Kahrs and the like will fit) on a breathable belt that's designed to be worn (like SmartCarry) below the beltline in the waistband or else (with the aid of an over-the-shoulder strap the Pistol Wear people include) as a shoulder-rig bellyband.

The one-size holster has some stretch to it, and the Subcompact version easily accommodates a tiny 9 or .380. Again, a 2 1/8" D-frame or 1 7/8" J-frame fits fine (I'm happily wearing my DS in the holster right now - but a 2" Rhino will not fit) and actually seems perfectly suited to this holster.

Ruger LCP in Trump Card Subcompact holster

Kahr CM9 in Trump Card Subcompact holster

J-frame 1 7/8" in Trump Card Subcompact holster

D-frame 2 1/8" in Trump Card Subcompact holster

The design includes a retention strap that locks down with a magnetic snap. This really makes the draw somewhat slower than from a SmartCarry (about half a second - a lot faster than I'd have thought). If you're willing to not fasten the magnetic snap/strap, you can draw just as fast as from a SmartCarry rig. I don't really see that this would be unsafe as friction from the pants keeps the gun in the holster just as it does in the not-secured SmartCarry pouch.

Magnetic snap/retention strap

Here's a video review by a FL LEO who shows how well the magnetic snap/retention strap work in vigorous shaking (very well, indeed):

Pistol Wear Trump Card Holster Review - YouTube

(Please note that the FL LEO's statement that a J-frame will not fit in a Subcompact Trump Card - something the Pistol Carry people repeated to me as well - is just not correct. A J-frame snub and a D-frame snub fit in this Subcompact just fine - see the pix above.)

One thing that's different from the SmartCarry/Thunderwear rigs is that the neoprene would allow the possibility that something could snag the trigger and actuate it. A piece of plastic or even cloth inside the holster would prevent this - though it strikes me as a really unlikely scenario anyhow. Still, I'd either do that or use a Saf-T-Blok if I were wearing a Glock or other short/light-triggered gun in this rig. With a long Kahr or DA revolver pull . . . well, you do what you think is best. Carry Wear's legal team warns not to chamber a round during carry.

Unlike the velcro-on/velcro-off design of Thunderwear and SmartCarry, the Pistol Wear Trump Card improves by allowing precise adjustment of the rig with hook-and-loop, and then goes on and off using a solid three-snap attachment (minimizing the likelihood of having to replace the velcro).

Velcro adjustment

Three-snap on/off

The $36.50 (+ $3.20 shipping; can't beat that) rig certainly conceals a gun well and wears comfortably - way better than you'd ever expect for the price. The neoprene is, of course, waterproof; I imagine it could get sweaty under there, but it's a pretty small footprint. I guess I'll have to report back after I've worn it a bit - might give it a shakedown at the family holiday festivities tomorrow. And maybe on a hike in the foothills, right now.

Trump Card The versatile Concealed Carry Holster for business casual or professional dress attire. Designed for comfortable under arm carry, inside the waistband carry, or can be worn outside the waistband. The Trump Card holster is comfortable, ligh

Hope this was of some interest. I'm very happy to have found it and very happy with my customer service experience and the price from Pistol Wear.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: