View Single Post

Old 05-12-2012, 10:50 PM

Liked 1,719 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFlintlock View Post
Thanks very much for the info guys. I didn't know if there were any years to avoid such as when Patrick Sweeny states in his book 1911 The first 100 years, that Colt's quality suffered through the 80s. I will definitely get some reading material and educate myself. I appreciate the replies and the forum.
As much as I like the few pre-War Smiths I have my favorites are The Model of 1950 (short action) before they introduced model numbers.

The years I avoid are the Bangor/Punta era. Those are when the dash 2 guns were being built. Yes there are some nice guns from that period but I had several friends in the gun business in the 1970s and early 1980s and they told many tales of poor quality control...like a M29-2 with a 41 Mag cylinder fitted. My department bought M66s in 1978 and some of them were an embarrassment to the gun making industry. Yea, Smith replaced them but how did a gun with the barrel so out of alignment the ejector wouldn't engage the front lock get shipped to a law enforcement agency?

Dave