View Single Post

Old 05-16-2012, 07:29 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,282 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
I am going to put my hat in this ring.

I'm blessed to have a mint M&P from around 1930. The blue was all done in one shot and it all matches perfectly.

We also have several from the 50's and 60's that are as mint as the M&P. One little difference. These pieces were done in batches. Get it in bright day light and each of the major components has just a bit different shade of blue. The blue on the M&P on the other hand is all the same, front to back, top to bottom.

As far as the stock fitting is concerned, there is simply no comparison. The M&P fit, finish and match is miles ahead.

The 1930's production was built in age of craftsmanship !!!

Look at a mint 80 year old example and you'll see what I mean. The quality is simply stunning.

That's my vote
I agree. The 1930's are hard to beat for fit and finish.

I must say, however, that the late 1940's and early to mid-1950's guns are really good. When properly cleaned and oiled their actions are almost as smooth. The Magna grip, followed by the target grips give better advantage to the shooter. They arguably are more "shootable" than the pre-WW2 guns (not to include pre-WW2 Magnas, which are divine).

So it boils down to a question of your criteria in making the judgment. Aesthetics, fit and finish, and shootability come together in different proportions for different collectors/shooters.