View Single Post

Old 05-17-2012, 12:24 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Best 22lr ammo for short barrel revolver BUG

Let me start by saying that I already own a 357 snub, and I bought a 22lcr for cheap practice and fun plinking. NOT for use as a primary defensive weapon. In fact, it probably wouldn't ever be used in a defensive capacity, as I've got a 9mm S&W M&P as well. I'd rather this thread not turn into a 10 page re-hashing of the internet's oldest gun discussion ("22lr, is it good for personal defense?" lol). I realize 22lr is far less than optimal as a defensive round unless its THE ONLY ROUND YOU CAN POSSIBLY CARRY. But, as a fun thought exercise, let's say my 357 snub fails, and my 9mm semi auto fails, and the only gun left in my safe is the 22 snub revolver lol.

In that instance, what would you have in it (other than CCI, since some people apparently have had trouble with CCI ammo in their LCR... even though I know some version of a CCI 22lr is going to be a lot of peoples' first selections, probably better to not risk the possibility that mine is one of the CCI-sensitive ones for a smidge more muzzle energy).

Seems like Jeff @ gunblast has great luck with remington yellow jackets.
Smith & Wesson Model 317 .22 Kit Gun
Ruger's New LCR 22 Revolver

Another thing that came to mind was the Remington viper, with the thinking that the velocity loss from the short barrel might necessitate a solid point to get any kind of half decent penetration?

(and yes, I know I'm asking about a 22lcr on a S&W forum, but I figured this would be a great place to go because there are a lot of knowledgeable people who have a ton of experience with short barreled revolvers here, and the info that gets shared should be relevant for the 43c/317/etc owners )

Anyway, thoughts? Give me your insight and wisdom!

Last edited by spotch; 05-17-2012 at 12:59 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: